CLOUDS OVER PURBECK

CLOUDS OVER PURBECK
CLICK THE CLOUDS TO LEAVE A COMMENT

WELCOME SKYWATCHERS

WELCOME SKYWATCHERS
CLICK THE EMBLEM TO SEE SKIES ROUND THE WORLD

OLIVES AND OZYMANDIAS


There's a programme called 'Gardeners' Question Time' on BBC Radio 4. It has been part of my life for . . . well, the whole of my life. Like The Archers.

And, from time to time, the questioning gardeners ask about plants and trees which some of the 'answerers' think are patently ridiculous for anyone in England to be growing at all - like olive trees. "Well," they go. "You can grow an olive tree if you like but you won't get any olives". Then lots of other gardeners write in and say things like, "My olive tree has fruit - five genuine olives.". And the people on the panel smirk a bit (I can hear them doing it) and say "Five olives does not make a crop". And people like me think, "Yes it does! - In Dorset!".


A couple of years ago I had five olives on my tree. They ripened to black. I ate them. (I wouldn't have offered them to anyone but me.) And I stood and chewed, and walked around for a bit - chewing - and thinking, very proudly, how wonderful it is to own an olive tree.

This year, I have two bunches with little green dots of olives. BUNCHES! Of OLIVES!
Ha! Gardeners' Question Time. I'm not going to starve if my olive crop fails but I am going to be very pleased with my bunches. (If they ripen.)

I expect it will stop raining one day - the clouds cleared and the sun came out briefly yesterday afternoon.

.
The word (For Wednesday) was . . . still is . . .
.
OZYMANDIAS.


Click here for the transcript of an Olive Tree discussion. This one happened quite far north in England where the growing conditions are very different from where I live now so it's not really fair to use it as an illustration. On the other hand, it gives an idea of the jolly sort of atmosphere which pervades the Gardener's Question Time Programme - which people (like me) enjoy as much for its entertainment as its information.


Esther's Blog is - 'Esther's Boring Garden Blog'



2 comments:

Monica the Garden Faerie August 6, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

I wish I liked olives, but I just don't. In fact, I thoroughly dislike them and that's very unusual for me! But good on you having two BUNCHES! (You can keep them, HA!)

3c August 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Hello Monica.

I suppose, in some countries, not liking olives would be a problem but I guess it won't raise too many dietary issues in Ann Arbor!

I like black olives with the stones still inside but very much dislike green stuffed olives - which I find to be slimy.

I liked my olives because I grew them - but I don't think much more could be said in their favour!