CLOUDS OVER PURBECK

CLOUDS OVER PURBECK
CLICK THE CLOUDS TO LEAVE A COMMENT

WELCOME SKYWATCHERS

WELCOME SKYWATCHERS
CLICK THE EMBLEM TO SEE SKIES ROUND THE WORLD

From Lucy - THE LIGHTHOUSE AT PORTLAND BILL



There is absolutely no reason for putting this photograph here - except that I like it! It is of the newest lighthouse at Portland Bill in Dorset - it was opened in 1906 - which is still pretty old, depending on the way you look at it!

There are lots of pictures of this lighthouse on the internet and on . . . postcards and in books. Many of them are from precisely this angle - and many of them set against the background of a similarly blue sky. But it is such a colourful lighthouse and the skies are often this blue - and I was there yesterday. So, although it is a bit daft to add my own picture to all the others . . . I make no apology! (It may even be new to some readers!)

P.S. People often think the whole of Portland is called 'Portland Bill'. It isn't - it's called Portland. 'The Bill' is this southern end, where this lighthouse is and where the land has got so narrow there is sea on three sides. (And very rough the sea is too!)

3 comments:

Mo September 16, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

I like it too

3c September 16, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

Thanks Mo!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers September 23, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

Hi Lucy, thanks for your comment on my cattle adventure post last week. Sorry for the delay in returning the visit but I was unwell and am only just catching up. I've never been to Portland Bill although I've heard of it. The lighthouse is lovely (just the kind of lighthouse I was hoping to find at St Catherine's!) and set against this blue sky it looks great! Definitely worth posting about!
Janice.