CLOUDS OVER PURBECK

CLOUDS OVER PURBECK
CLICK THE CLOUDS TO LEAVE A COMMENT

WELCOME SKYWATCHERS

WELCOME SKYWATCHERS
CLICK THE EMBLEM TO SEE SKIES ROUND THE WORLD

From Lucy - ANOTHER KIND OF LOOKING UP - The Inside of a Lych Gate Roof - For SKYWATCH


A Lych Gate was where coffins (or bodies in shrouds) used to be brought for the beginning of funeral services. The roof would give shelter. I used to think coffins were stored there before the service too - in the rafters. Now I'm not so sure!

This photograph was taken from within the Lych Gate of St George's Church on Portland in Dorset. The view is up and out - so I'm posting it for Skywatch. Once again, not a cloud in sight!

This photo is also posted at Pictures Just Pictures. You can comment here - or there!

5 comments:

James October 1, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

And what a wonderful day it was.

3c October 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

The kind of day that makes everything seem like a dream, James. As if sound has no chance of carrying.

Jane Hards Photography October 2, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

There never were clouds when I lived in Bournemouth, just beautiful blue skies. Interesting take on the skywatch theme.

J October 2, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

Only after seeing Babooshka's comment above did I realise that you're photographing the area very close to where I was born (although my parents moved when I was only a few months old). My county of birth looks pretty nice!

Margaret Gosden October 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

An interesting blog! Love the sky. So subtile.